Position: Executive Director
Location: Flagstaff, AZ
Application Deadline: Friday, May 19th @ 5:00 pm
Compensation: Position is 25 hours per week compensated at $20/hour, with potential to expand hours.
How to Apply: Please send a resume, cover letter (no more than 1,000 words), and a list of at least 3 references to email@example.com. No phone calls please.
Application Process: Successful applicants will be contacted by Friday June 2nd. Interviews will be conducted at the F3 office first two weeks of June. Expected start date is July 1st.
About the Organization
Friends of Flagstaff’s Future (F3) is a local, grassroots, member-based nonprofit organization. Our mission is to promote an environmentally sustainable, socially just and economically prosperous Flagstaff through community education, citizen engagement, and advocacy.
About the Position
The role of the Executive Director is to design and implement the organization’s advocacy programs, events, and ongoing activities in a manner that serves the mission and vision of the organization. The Executive Director is responsible for the day-to-day operation of the organization, including managing the organization’s outreach, policy direction, and staff, as well as developing strategic plans in collaboration with the Board of Directors.
At this time, F3 has chosen to focus on local land use issues, including historic preservation, affordable housing, and open space. A passion, familiarity and/or experience with these issues is highly desirable.
The Executive Director is the face of the organization and is responsible for the successful leadership and management of the organization according to the strategic direction set by the Board of Directors.
Primary Duties and Responsibilities
Policy and Advocacy
- Weekly review of agendas and attendance at City Council and select Commission meetings, for identification of important issues relevant to F3’s mission
- Research issues and draft official F3 positions and communicate the organization’s position at Council meetings and other official events
- Establish and maintain relationships with City Council members, City staff, stakeholders and partner organizations to support shared advocacy needs
- Involvement in local election education and outreach
Board of Directors
- Identify, assess, and inform the Board of internal and external issues that affect the organization
- Identify and develop opportunities for the Board to be engaged and active with the organization’s efforts
Communications and Public Relations
- Act as a spokesperson for the organization (media interviews, etc.)
- Represent the organization at community activities and events to enhance the organization’s community profile
- Write updates and content for F3’s e-news, Facebook, Newsletters, and Website
Budget, Development and Membership
- Work with staff (Office Manager) and the Board (Treasurer) to prepare a comprehensive yearly budget
- Write, edit, and submit F3 grants, and attend grant workshops and presentations
- Participate in fundraising activities (Circle of Friends events, Gala, bi-annual appeals, etc.)
- Provide direction and prioritization to staff activities